CHICKPEA PANCAKE WITH LENTIL BITES AND KALE BASIL DIP
I have been in a HUGE chickpea pancake faze of late and coming into a warmer climate here in Australia, I wanted something a bit more fresh but still hearty. For this months recipe, it was important to focus on the NATURAL element of Syndian and the ingredients that go into their products. In this recipe, you will find no added nasties or ingredients that aren’t natural. Just a whole lot of good vegetables, legumes and herbs. I hope this recipe speaks for itself. It tastes great and really nourishes the body and soul with all the yummy flavours going on. If I am honest, the lentil bites/patties and the kale dip are two of my VERY favourites from the Syndian range.
Now, if you haven’t yet had a chickpea pancake you need to change that. Chickpea flour can sometimes be called Gram Flour, so if you are in the shops keep an eye out for it. You can pick up a big bag of it in Coles or places that sell bulk goods.
Continuing on with the Syndian theme, this pancake is inspired by Middle Eastern flavours but you can really top your pancake with any kind of vegetable or even the Syndian sausages… maybe one for next time!
INGREDIENTS FOR CHICKPEA PANCAKE (SERVES 2).
150g of chickpea flour (gram flour)
1/2 red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
Juice of 1 lemon
Pinch of salt and pepper
1 tsp of cumin
½ red sliced (to garnish)
1 tsp of cumin
1 tsp of olive oil
200grams of spinach
1 Syndian kale pesto dip
½ box of Syndian lentil bites
- Wash and chop broccoli into medium pieces and set aside.
- Place the chickpea flour into a bowl and slowly pour the water in, whisking until the mix is smooth and there are small bubbles on the surface.
- Add in the chilli, lemon juice, cumin, salt and pepper and give it a whisk.
- Meanwhile in a non stick fry pan and add a drizzle of olive oil in a small saucepan. Once warm, pour half of the mix in. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes, until the top side starts to bubble and is no longer runny. Then flip and do the same with the other side
- Repeat with the remaining part of the mixture.
6. Cook half the packet of lentil bites as instructed (I cooked mine in a pan).
7.In a medium heated pan add a splash of olive oil, cumin and then add your broccoli for 2 minutes before adding spinach for another 1 minute.
8.Put pancake on a plate and smear a decent serve of kale, basil and cashew dip on it. Then add half the broccoli and spinach and crumbled the lentil bites on top.
9. Do the same with the other and then garnish with fresh sliced chilli, lemon and salt and pepper.
*If you find it too chilli, you can always look at adding some coconut yoghurt of tahini to make it more creamy.
ENJOY. MUCH LOVE, RENEE.