BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER HOT WINGS!
These are the real deal! Spice lovers, you are going to love with one! A delicious and crispy side dish or if you are like me… eat them as a main. It’s cauliflower so it’s pretty much just eating a vegetable right? We cooked them up for our house and even the non vegans couldn’t keep away. It’s a really easy recipe that can be enjoyed deep fried or if you have an air fryer, give that a go. We had ours deep fried! This recipe is gluten free and vegan.
*Note the ingredients and method will slightly change depending on the size of the cauliflower. Ours was a medium size. So just add more cornflour if needed to ensure it’s like a batter.
SERVES APPROX 3-4 PEOPLE
- One whole head cauliflower
- 1/2 cup hot sauce (we used Sweet baby rays buffalo wing sauce, you can get it at Woolies)
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 2tbsp of herbs (onion powder, paprika, oregano or mixed herbs work great)
- 1 cup of corn flour
- Salt and pepper
- Enough canola oil to fry the wings in a dutch oven
- 1/2 cup of vegan aioli or mayo
OPTIONAL SERVING INGREDIENTS:
- Chopped carrot and celery sticks
- Chopped spring onion to sprinkle on top
- Chop off cauliflower leaves and then cut into wing sized florets
- In a big mixing bowl, add your dry ingredients, then add the wet ingredients and whisk well. Place cauliflower in bowl and let it sit for 15- 30 minutes in order to stick to the mixture.
- Heat canola oil in dutch oven on stove top to 180 degrees celsius
- Small florets of cauliflower in and ensure its covered in the hot wings mixture. If your cauliflower is big, try adding extra corn flour. Just note that all the florets should be covered in the batter and it shouldn’t be too runny.
- Once the oil is hot, add cauliflower wings into the oil one by one. You may need to do this in a few batches (you don’t want to overcrowd it).
Cook wings for 6 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and strain the oil from the in a sifter or on paper towel. Repeat with the remaining wings, just ensure your oil gets hot again after each batch.
- Then pour 1 cup of the hot sauce into a mixing bowl and toss the wings in them. You can add more or less hot sauce depending on your taste. But I always end up with plenty of hot sauce.
- Serve your wings as you wish and dip them your vegan aioli.