SYNDIAN SAUSAGE CASSEROLE
Here is a hearty staple that can feed the entire family. This recipe is gluten free and vegan friendly! Most importantly it’s flavoursome and healthy. I fed this one to my non-vegan housemate and got a big tick of approval.
I know the recipe looks like there are a LOT of ingredients, but most of them should already be in your pantry. Don’t worry, I am all about creating wholesome recipes for you that are quick and not too messy or tricky.
For this one you will need the smoky chipotle sausages I picked mine up from Coles. If you are unsure of where to find the Syndian sausages, head to their website for your closest stockist.
- 1 Whole brown onion (peeled and diced)
- 2 Cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 1tsp paprika
- 2tsp rosemary flakes
- 1tsp chilli flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 TBSP of olive oil
- ¼ cup vegan red wine (optional)
- 2 Tbsp balsamic
- 1 tin of cannellini beans
- Decent pinch of S&P
- 1 Box of Syndian spicy chipotle sausages
- Fresh parsley to serve
- Serve with either mashed potato or creamy polenta. I have attached a vegan creamy polenta recipe here. I ain’t going to tell you how to mash potato, fingers crossed you have got that one down pat.
- In a crock pot, cook onion on low heat in 1 TBSP of olive oil and crushed garlic. Sautee for 5 minutes then add paprika, chilli flakes, rosemary and bay leafs.
- Mix in your capsicum and red wine (if you choose) followed by beans, balsamic and S&P. Stir well and cover. Let it simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile cook Syndian sausages on a low heat with a splash of oil. Once cooked put on a chopping board and delicately slice them into thirds. Then add to the remaining mixture and cook for another 5 minutes. If the mixture is too runny, try adding a bit of corn flour or if its too thick, add some water. It totally depends on how you like it.
- Serve with creamy polenta or mashed potato. Ensuring you remove both bay leaves before eating.
- Finally, top with the good old chopped parsley. It’s the best.
EXTRA TIPS AND TRICKS:
- If you don’t finish the mixture, keep it in the fridge and eat it with toast.
- This recipe could be a delicious breakfast meal too. Try serving it on toast with avocado or vegan cheese.
- If you love chilli, feel free to add extra during the process